Watch CBS News

MPD Arrests 2 Following Stolen Car Chase, Believed Connected To South Mpls. Crime Wave

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) -- Minneapolis police detained six people overnight following a stolen car chase Tuesday evening that left two officers injured, and said Wednesday morning that two have been arrested. Police believe the two are involved in a string of stolen cars that were, in turn, used to commit felonies in the city's 3rd and 5th police precincts.

Minneapolis Police spokesperson John Elder said the two arrested were one adult and one juvenile, and booked not only on probable cause for Tuesday night's incident, but also for previous felonious crimes committed.

Elder said that investigators have uncovered a number of stolen vehicles on Queen Avenue North, where one of the stolen vehicles stopped Tuesday evening, and said that this all appeared to be part of a crime wave.

"We are looking at what other crimes they were involved in, and try to tie up some of these other cases. We know that there are other people we will be looking for," Elder said.

Police Chief Medaria Arradondo later added: "These people are believed to be involved in the sharp uptick in violence in the 3rd and 5th Precincts. ... These cases remain open and active.  Our officers and investigators will continue to work tirelessly to bring others to justice and restore peace to the impacted areas."

The Minneapolis Police Department says Tuesday's chase started around 7:30 p.m. in Mill Ruins Park, near the Stone Arch Bridge. Officers conducting an unrelated investigation spotted two stolen vehicles, and tried to stop them.

The vehicles fled. One sideswiped an officer, briefly pinning him against his squad car. The other vehicle hit a squad car, pushing the squad into an officer, who fell over from impact.

One of the stolen vehicles got away, police say, while responding officers pursued the other vehicle. A State Patrol helicopter followed the pursued vehicle to north Minneapolis, where those inside out and into another stolen car. Officers tried to pull over this second car, but it sped off.

During the pursuit, the stolen vehicle slammed into Shavona Rowland's car. She was inside the vehicle with her 4-year-old daughter.

"It just happened so fast," she said, adding: "He had to have been at least going 100 [mph]. He just jumped over, hit us and kept going. He didn't even mash on the brakes a little bit."

The helicopter kept eyes on this second stolen vehicle until it stopped on the 2000 block of Queen Avenue North, where those inside fled, with some going into a home.

Officers set up a perimeter around the home, and a standoff ensued, police say. Officers tried to convince those inside to come out, but the suspects remained inside.

Police obtained a search warrant and entered the home just before 1 a.m. Wednesday. Officers questioned six people -- three males and three females -- and two were arrested.

Since the beginning of July, there have been 100 robberies and 20 carjackings in the 3rd precinct, with most happening north of 42nd Street.

The officers injured are expected to recover. One suffered a concussion and the other has scrapes and cuts.

Police did locate the second car that got away last night, but didn't find the person behind the wheel.

Investigators are working to find others connected to the crime wave.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.