Kohl's slogan is "expect great things," but the amount of money you can anticipate saving depends on how much you know.
Learning a few tricks to savvy shopping at this discount department store chain can boost your savings. So we've rounded up some of the most useful and least-known tips.
1. Compare prices
While you should always comparison shop, that's especially true at Kohl's. You can find great deals there, but not all deals are as good as they appear on the price tag.
Last year, Consumers' Checkbook cited Kohl's among national retail chains that, according to the nonprofit organization, manipulate sales prices in a way that amounts to "deceptive advertising practices" and, in some cases, violations of federal law.
2. Join the loyalty program
The perks of Kohl's free loyalty program, called Yes2You Rewards, include:
- One point for every dollar spent. You earn a $5 reward, which is similar to a coupon or promotional code, for every 100 points.
- Eight offers a year, plus a birthday gift.
- Opportunities to earn bonus points.
3. Understand Kohl’s Cash
Kohl's discounts often include what the company calls Kohl's Cash. When it's offered, you usually receive $10 in Kohl's cash for every $50 you spend.
These vouchers of sorts can be earned and redeemed in stores and online, and they are usually valid for a week or so.
Two key but little-known Kohl's Cash secrets:
- It has fewer exclusions than other Kohl's discounts -- including printable coupons, promotional codes and savings passes. Those other discounts cannot be used to purchase higher-end products such as certain cosmetics and electronics, or higher-end brands such as Dyson, Levi's and Nike. But you can use Kohl's Cash to buy such products.
- Kohl's policy rounds up from $48. So if $10 in Kohl's Cash is offered for every $50 spent but you only spend $48 to $49.99, you will still earn the $10 in Kohl's Cash.
4. Know the senior discount
Every Wednesday, Kohl's offers a special discount of 15 percent to customers who are at least 55 years old. You just need identification to claim the discount.
This discount cannot be combined with other percent-off discounts. But it can be combined with dollar-off discounts, Kohl's Cash, Yes2You Rewards and promotional gifts.
5. Stack promo codes
Kohl's is one of few retailers that allows you to stack promotional codes, which are essentially the online equivalent of paper coupons. That means you can redeem multiple promo codes at once.
6. Use the "Pick Up In Store" option
Kohl's purchases totaling at least $75 and purchases of gift cards qualify for free shipping.
So if you are spending less than $75, check out the "Pick Up In Store" option. It enables you to shop and pay for your order online, but sidestep shipping costs by agreeing to pick up your order at the local store.
7. Get cash back online
Kohl's partners with cash-back portals such as Ebates.com. So you'll earn cash back anytime you buy something from Kohl's online if you go through such a portal.
For example, here's what you do before shopping Kohl's online if you want to earn cash back from Ebates:
- Sign up for an Ebates account if you don't already have one -- it's free and requires you to provide only an email address.
- Make sure you're logged in to Ebates.com.
- From the home page, do a search for Kohl's.
- Once you're on Ebates.com's Kohl's page, click on the orange "Shop Now" button.
When you click the button, you will automatically be directed from Ebates.com to Kohls.com and earn cash back.
8. Pay with a rewards credit card
Using a rewards credit card that offers cash back or frequent flier miles is a great way to get more for your money. Just make sure you're able to pay off the credit card bill on time every month so you can avoid paying interest and late fees.
If you shop at Kohl's often, consider its store charge card. The benefits include additional discounts on sale prices at least 12 times a year.
9. Pay with a discounted gift card
If you don't have or want a rewards credit card, you can often save at least another 10 percent by paying with a discounted Kohl's gift card.
Reputable online marketplaces like Raise.com and Cardpool.com buy and then resell unwanted gift cards. Savvy shoppers can boost their savings by purchasing gift cards from these marketplaces for less than their face value, and then making purchases with the discounted gift cards.
10. Remember the return policy
Kohl's has one of the most flexible return policies, which the company bills as "hassle-free" with "no questions asked."
Among the most noteworthy features of the policy:
- There are no time restrictions for returns.
- A receipt is not required to return a purchase.
- Online purchases can be returned in stores.