Watch CBS News

Woman Burned, Puppy Killed In OC House Fire Caused By Overloaded Electrical Cord

SANTA ANA ( — Officials say a house fire that left a woman with burns, killed a puppy and displaced 13 people in Santa Ana was caused by an overloaded electrical cord.

Firefighters were sent shortly before 6 p.m. Saturday to a small, one-story home in the 2400 block of South Ramona Drive and had the flames out within 15 minutes, Orange County Fire Authority Capt. Steve Concialdi said.

"It started in the bedroom," Concialdi said. "There was a fridge, a stereo, a television and a portable air-conditioning unit plugged into an extension cord."

Concialdi said major appliances should be plugged directly into an outlet and that "an extension cord should never be used instead of permanent wiring."

(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.