Watch CBS News

Shelter Opened For Those Displaced By Christmas Eve Motel Fire

LOS ANGELES ( — The Red Cross has opened a shelter for residents displaced on Christmas Eve by a fire at a Westlake motel.

Flames quickly swept through Royal Park Motel, also referred to as JJ Park Motel, at 1906 West 3rd Street shortly after 6 p.m., Los Angeles Fire Department spokesperson Erik Scott reported.

Six patients, between the ages of 28 to 73-years-old, were treated at the scene. Five of the victims were transported to hospitals; two of which were listed in critical condition due to burn and smoke inhalation. Their condition is unknown at this time.

It took more than 100 firefighters approximately 21 minutes to put out the blaze and evacuate residents.

JJ Motel Park Fire
(credit: CBS)

They managed to rescue a disabled woman on the second floor of the three-story building.

Other residents tried to flee the flames from second-floor windows by climbing down bed sheets strewn together. People also stood on each other's shoulders to form human ladders so that others could safely escape.

The fire destroyed 23 units, leaving its former occupants without a home for the holidays.

A shelter opened 11 a.m. Saturday for displaced residents at the Echo Park Community Center, located at 303 Patton Street. The Red Cross said they were providing cots, meals and case worker support to tend to residents' needs.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.