By Edward Cardenas
DETROIT (CBS Detroit) - A new, free workout park has opened near the intersection of two of Detroit's most popular workout paths.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and the Detroit Riverfront Conservancy partnered to open Detroit's first Fit Park on the Dequindre Cut Greenway Wednesday, just north of the Detroit Riverfront.
"Folks coming from Lafayette Park, Midtown, all these neighborhoods on the east side, can come right down this pathway, get a great workout then run a 5k on the Riverwalk and then head back home," said Mark Wallce, president and CEO of the Detroit Riverfront Conservancy. "It really sits at an exciting intersection for us."
The opening of the Fit Park, located by the Woodbridge entrance to the Dequindre Cut near the Detroit Riverfront, is the latest project to come from a four-year partnership between Blue Cross Blue Shield and the Detroit Riverfront Conservancy to promote the riverfront and healthy activities along the riverfront.
These activities include Walk the Riverfront, free tai chi classes and yoga classes.
"Blue Cross Blue Shield is committed to healthy lifestyles," said Tricia Keith, senior vice president, corporate secretary and services at Blue Cross, who added the Fit Park is unique on the riverfront. "We are very excited to have it located here on this amazing Dequindre Cut. This is such a critical piece of the entire riverfront."
The opening comes after a successful River Days festival which saw a 10 percent increase in attendance and growth in the use of the riverfront from early in the morning and stay later in the evening.
"The community understands the Riverwalk is for them," said Wallace. "The Riverwalk is a place to get healthy."
The Fit Park offers six new, free exercise for those working out:
- Parallel bars: The parallel bars are a wheelchair-accessible station that accommodates beginners and advanced users, well as physical rehabilitation patients.
- Pull-up bars: The pull-up/dip provides multiple, highly effective strength-building exercises for the upper body.
- Ab crunch/leg lift: The ab crunch/leg lift area lets users work both the upper and lower abdominals, and provides two different activities in one fitness station.
- Cardio stepper: The cardio stepper provides a cardiovascular step aerobic workout.
- Squat press: The squat press builds leg and hip muscle endurance. This exercise is a great way to build lower body strength and balance.
- Chest/back press: The chest/back press builds equal endurance for opposing muscle groups at one fitness station.
The Detroit RiverWalk and Dequindre Cut Greenway are open from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week. The Fit Park is intended for individuals 13 and up.
for more features.