Watch CBS News

EMU Dorm Evacuated After Curling Iron Causes Fire

YPSILANTI (WWJ) - An Eastern Michigan University residence hall was evacuated, Monday afternoon, due to a small fire in a dorm room.

University personnel told WWJ Newsradio 950 that the blaze broke out when a hot curling iron touched a mattress in Putnam Hall.

"Now, the fire was confined to that room," said Geoff Larcom, head of media relations at the school. "And as a precaution two students and three police officers were checked for smoke inhalation at the scene and they were released."

Because of the smoke, alarms also sounded in Walton, Phelps and Sellers halls, Larcom said.

No one was injured.

Students were allowed back in Putnam Hall once the smoke cleared.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.