Detroit Gets $1.5M Grant To Fight Youth Violence
DETROIT (WWJ/AP) - Detroit is getting some crime-fighting help from the federal government.
Department of Justice Administrator Melodee Hanes said the city will receive a $1.5 million Community-Based Violence Prevention award.
"This funding will allow Detroit to reinvigorate the Operation Cease Fire program that will reduce youth gun violence in the city. This program will support your youth violence reduction strategy," Hanes said.
The grant was announced Thursday as Mayor Dave Bing and the city's police chief met with U.S. Attorney Barbara McQuade, Detroit's Housing and Urban Development field office chief and White House officials.
Detroit is one of six cities in the Obama administration's National Forum on Youth Violence Prevention.
The Cease Fire program includes police data and street outreach to track violent hot spots along with tough police enforcement and intervention. It has been successful in Boston.
Bing presented Detroit's plan to address youth violence and gang activity last year during a Washington summit.
Detroit Police Chief Ralph Godbee the grant will allow Detroit's Youth Violence Prevention Forum team to expand its efforts on the city's east side.
"And the Department of Justice, the White House, Attorney General Holder, President Obama ... we will not disappoint," said Godbee. "Detroit will be a shining example that people will come from all around the world to ask the question: 'How did you do it?'"
(TM and © Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
for more features.