Watch CBS News

Detroit Firefighter, 3 Others Injured In Apartment Fire Possibly Sparked By Cigarette

DETROIT (WWJ) - Authorities say a firefighter was injured battling a blaze at an apartment complex in northwest Detroit that might have been cause by a burning cigarette.

The fire took off early Thursday morning at the two-story Crescent House apartment complex along Telegraph Road just north of 7 Mile Road.

The firefighter apparently suffered a shoulder injury while trying to extinguish the blaze and was taken to Botsford Hospital for treatment.

Three residents -- an 88-year-old woman, 52-year-old woman and 82-year-old man -- suffered smoke inhalation and were also taken to area hospitals.

The fire was limited to one upper unit, although adjoining units received extensive smoke and water damage.

A cause of the fire is still being looked at but investigators say it appears accidental, with a burning cigarette a possible source of ignition.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.