Watch CBS News

Canton Fire Linked To Christmas Lights

CANTON (WWJ) - Canton Fire investigators have determined a Tuesday night garage fire started because an extension cord was overloaded with several sets of Christmas lights.

The fire, reported around 8:30 p.m., was in the 44000 block of Nantucket.

Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the garage which was attached to a two-story home.

At first firefighters couldn't determine if anyone was inside the home so, seeing smoke and flames, a search and rescue operation started, while additional firefighters began to pour water on the flames.  It was later determined that no one was inside the house.

Fire officials said the fire was accidental and caused by an extension cord overloaded with several sets of Christmas lights.

"This unfortunate incident should serve as a reminder to the importance of following recommended safety precautions, especially during the holiday season," said Fire Chief Timothy Dunn in a statement.

No injuries were reported.  The house and garage have smoke and fire damage.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.