Dillon Thomas is a multi-Emmy Award winning general assignment reporter/MSJ for CBS News Colorado in Denver. He is a proud Latino and a native Coloradan with family roots from Pueblo to northern Colorado. When not shooting and editing his own stories, he can be found filling in on the CBS News Colorado anchor desk.
In 2022 he received the Emmy Award for Video Journalist, an award which recognizes the best solo-journalist who shoots, writes and edits their own stories. He also received the 2022 Emmy for best News Special after creating the documentary "SCARRED: Lessons from Cameron Peak."
Growing up in Aurora, Dillon began his journalism career at Smoky Hill High School. Before he enrolled at Colorado State University in Fort Collins he shadowed former CBS Colorado anchor Jim Benemann. It was then that he decided broadcast news was for him.
Dillon interned at CBS in college and later graduated with a bachelor's degree in journalism and technical communications, with a minor in political science.
Dillon Thomas on Facebook | on Twitter | on Instagram
After college, Dillon worked in Fayetteville, Arkansas for two years. He reported several week nights, and anchored the weekend evening newscasts.
Dillon returned to Denver to join the CBS News Colorado team in October of 2016. While he enjoys covering northern Colorado news, Dillon has also enjoyed establishing strong relationships with CBS Colorado's community partners. Dillon is CBS Colorado's performing arts reporter covering the Denver Center for the Performing Arts, and he also has served as the station's representative at Cheyenne Frontier Days since 2019.
While some of Dillon's favorite interviews are those of everyday Coloradans, he has had the honor to interview big names including Presidents Trump, Obama and W. Bush. He also served as a social media blogger, covering the NBA's Denver Nuggets, during the 2013-2014 season. Dillon's coverage of international headlines has also been featured on shows like Dr. Phil, Nancy Grace, the CBS Evening News and the Discovery Channel UK.
RELATED: See The Whole CBS News Colorado Team
During his free time, Dillon can be found playing basketball, watching the NBA, visiting with family and friends or scanning through social media. He has a passion for traveling, and is well-along in a mission to see the Denver Nuggets play in every NBA arena.
Read the latest reports by Dillon Thomas.
Just The Facts
• Position: Reporter/MMJ, Fill-In Anchor
• Year hired: 2016
• Alma Mater: Colorado State University, Fort Collins
• Why I am journalist: It allows me to meet so many people, and see many places, while not being confined to a cubical!
• Role models: My parents
• Dream job: This! Reporting for CBS Colorado! Or, a Dateline correspondent
• Job you would never attempt: Reptile handler, because I am not fond of snakes!
• Hidden talent: Tasteful sarcasm
• Hometown: Raised in Aurora, but currently living in Northern Colorado!
• Hobbies: Spending time with friends, reading, supporting the arts at the DCPA, long walks, exploring RMNP, traveling, playing basketball and watching NBA basketball!
• Favorite food: Grandma's green chili, Grandmother's banana pudding or my Mom's baked beans!
• Number of siblings: Two older sisters, and their husbands
• Favorite sports team: Denver Nuggets
• What one word best describes CBS Colorado: Dedicated
• Least favorite household chore: Cleaning the shower
• Favorite word: "Yay!" or "Huh?"
• Favorite noise: Genuine laughter
• Least favorite noise: Loud chewing/swallowing
• Favorite music: Everything! Rock, rap, classic, gospel and country
• What keeps you in Colorado? Family
• What's the biggest risk you've taken? Following blind intuition and moving to Arkansas for a job without visiting before. (So glad I did!)
Send an email to Dillon Thomas by selecting his name from the pulldown menu below:
for more features.