High schools in Chicago, Aurora, Lombard and more hold walkouts to protest ICE Friday
Students at several Chicago and suburban high schools walked out of class on Friday to protest U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and the Trump administration's ongoing immigration enforcement efforts across the country.
Hundreds of students from a number of Chicago Public Schools protested in Federal Plaza in downtown Chicago on Friday afternoon after walking out of class, many of them holding signs saying "ICE OUT!" and "ABOLISH ICE" before marching to Daley Plaza.
Hundreds of students also walked out of class in west suburban Aurora for a protest of federal immigration enforcement.
Students from East Aurora and West Aurora high schools also protested what they said was excessive police force at a walkout earlier this week. The students marched through several Aurora neighborhoods to the suburb's downtown area, speaking out about what they called an unjust response to a peaceful demonstration.
At one point, a man holding a Trump flag stood in the middle of the protest, but was chased away by the crowd.
There was also renewed anger after a confrontation with police on Monday left three teens in handcuffs.
"The cops just, like, decided to take it a different type of way, like a different type of manner of how to treat minors," said East Aurora High School student Sofia Silva.
On Monday, what started as a peaceful protest quickly escalated. Videos posted online appeared to show officers tackling students and kneeling on demonstrators.
"Even though they don't want kids walking out to protest, we still will protest either way, because we have a right to protest," Silva said.
Police said those video clips don't show the full story, saying students put themselves in danger. Mayor John Laesch said some "agitators" threw water bottles at police.
"It's been a huge issue trying to balance safety along with having a withdrawn presence from the police. They've hung back from the marches so we don't have an incident like we did the other day," Laesch said.
Illinois state Sen. Karina Villa (D-West Chicago) said she wants the officers held accountable and the charges dropped against the three teens.
The Kane County States Attorney's Office has launched an independent review of the incident, and will look at all body worn camera video from Monday's incident.
"They're demanding accountability. They want to know that there was a full investigation to how that incident occurred and escalated," Villa said.
Other community members joined the protest in Aurora to support students, but said they're concerned protests happened without adult supervision.
"Youngsters need to have supervision. When ICE is out here constantly picking people up for no reason, how do you let a student who is 11 years old walk out of school and not have consequences?" one man said.
Students said, with support from their district, they'll continue to use their voices.
"What makes me want to stand up is for the people who can't stand up with their voices," Silva said.
The Kane County State's Attorney's Office said their review into what happened on Monday is underway. The office will release a full report once the investigation is complete.
The Village of Lombard confirmed a walkout also was planned on Friday at Glenbard East High School, and said there would be additional police in the area.
"We are committed to maintaining the peace in Lombard while protecting everyone's right to gather and protest lawfully," Lombard officials said in a statement. "Officers will have a presence in the area to monitor any activity and help ensure everyone's safety. Please remember that unlawful behavior will not be tolerated."
The Naperville Police Department announced plans to "maintain a reasonable presence to monitor any walkouts" at several local schools on Friday.
A student-led march at York High School in Elmhurst was also circulating on social media.