Watch CBS News

Suspect Wounded In Another Police Shooting On West Side

CHICAGO (CBS) -- The Independent Police Review Authority is investigating yet another shooting involving a Chicago Police officer – the third such incident since Monday night.

The latest incident happened around 10:30 p.m. Tuesday, when an off-duty Narcotics Unit officer in an unmarked squad car noticed what police called a "disturbance" between two cars in the 4400 block of West Armitage Avenue.

The officer stopped his squad car and turned on his emergency lights. At that point, one of the drivers got out of his car and ran toward the officer's squad car.

"One driver said he saw a 38-year-old man walk up to a squad car and try to open the door, and he's going to pull the officer out of the car," said Chicago Fraternal Order of Police spokesman Pat Camden. "It's just a strange set of circumstances."

The suspect also had his hand hidden in his waistband, as if holding a concealed weapon, police said.

The officer announced that he was with the police, and ordered the man to take his hand out of his waistband. The man refused to comply with any orders, so the officer shot him in the hand, police said.

The offender was arrested and taken to Mount Sinai Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, police said. He was at the hospital under police guard as of 5 a.m. Wednesday.

The incident comes on the heels of two other shootings involving Chicago Police officers, which like this latest incident, both happened on the city's West Side.

Around 11 p.m. Monday, police shot a 13-year-old boy identified as Jimmell Cannon, 13, after he allegedly refused to drop a BB gun in the 1000 block of North Kedvale Avenue.

Police say approached the teen because he matched the description of the gunman in a shooting in the 4300 block of West Walton Street. But he ran off, and pointed the weapon at police when they caught up to him, according to the police account.

But Jimmell's family says the boy never had a weapon, and claim that he was shot eight times by police "for no reason." His father, Jimmie Porter, says the boy was actually surrendering when police opened fire on him.

As of late Tuesday, Cannon was recovering at Stroger Hospital of Cook County, wearing a neckbrace, his ankles cuffed to the side of his bed.

Police said the restraints are necessary, even if a suspect has been sedated. It's normal police procedure. They also disputed that the boy was shot eight times, saying only six shots were fired.

About three hours earlier, another suspect, identified as Joe Banks, 21, was shot multiple times by police near Ohio Street and Sawyer Avenue. Police say he ran off when officers tried to question him, and he was shot by a Harrison District patrol supervisor when he refused to drop a weapon.

His family claims he was unarmed, and that police shot him in the back.

In an exclusive interview Monday with CBS 2 Chief Correspondent Jay Levine just before the latest shootings, police Supt. Garry McCarthy fired back at those who claim his officers are trigger-happy. McCarthy says it's a matter of self-defense.

"Somebody points a gun at you, you have to defend yourself," he said.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.