Watch CBS News

Power Washer In Basement Leaves 4 Hospitalized In Marquette Park

CHICAGO (CBS) -- Two adults and two children were hospitalized Monday night after a power washer caused a hazardous materials situation in their Marquette Park neighborhood home.

The Fire Department said a homeowner was using a power washer in the basement of the home at 6634 S. Albany Ave., which caused high carbon monoxide levels.

That caused a hazardous materials situation in which dangerous fumes filled the home, and the Fire Department rushed to the scene around 7:45 p.m.

CBS 2's Eric Cox reported a floor stripper with another kind of chemical was in use, and ventilation was poor because it was in a basement.

The victims were all taken to Holy Cross Hospital in good and stable condition, the Fire Department said.

The Fire Department emphasized that gasoline-operated devices are never to be used indoors.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.