A romantic getaway to the Poconos means enjoying quiet time together away from your day-to-day lives. Plus, should the two of you decide to venture out of your room, there is plenty of adventurous activities to do and places to explore. Depending upon your desires, spending time in the Poconos means enjoying white water rafting, kayaking, hiking, boating and the many amenities your resort has to offer. All of this is in addition to the world of romance you will experience during your getaway.
After spending time in a land filled with heart-shaped tubs, you will truly discover why this is one of the most popular destinations for couples looking to escape and find a little bit more romance in their lives.
Photo Credit: Thinkstock
Places To Stay
Many of the resorts in the area know how to treat couples during their getaway. Some are even adults-only resorts. All of the resorts offer exciting adventures and activities during the day and lots of romantic opportunities once the sun goes down. Many of the rooms available throughout the area include a private in-room pool, a fireplace and a Jacuzzi, making it possible to never have to leave the comforts of your room.
Several of the resorts in the Poconos offer all-inclusive packages featuring dining, live entertainment, dancing and luxurious bedroom accommodations. Some of the more popular resorts in the Poconos include:
Experience a romantic rendezvous at Cove Haven. This resort is often referred to as one of the most romantic resorts in the world. Cove Have is one of three resorts operated by Cove Haven Entertainment Resorts in the Poconos area. This resort is located on the Lake Wallenpaupack and is an all-inclusive, couples-only resort.
Enjoy a romantic getaway filled with a variety of pampering and relaxation activities at the Naomi Village. Located in the heart of the Poconos, this resort offers all-inclusive packages featuring couples massages, on-site activities, meals and plush romantic accommodations.
Paradise Stream is the most intimate resort owned by Cove Haven Entertainment Resorts and is conveniently located right in the heart of the Poconos. Couples can enjoy all-inclusive packages that include nightly live entertainment, all-you-care-to-eat breakfast and dinner, plus tons of activities right at the resort.
Pocono Palace is another adults-only resort in the Poconos that is operated by Cove Haven Entertainment Resorts. This resort is close to the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation areas where there are many outdoor adventures couples can take together. This resort also features exclusive Roman Tower rooms that are perfect for a romantic night after a long day exploring the great outdoors.
You will get an exciting experience of the Poconos when you stay at the SkyTop Lodge. This resort offers plenty of things to do for couples at the resort, including archery, hiking, campfires, dog sledding, fishing and geocaching. Then you can retreat back to your room when the sun sets for a romantic evening with room service and lots of cuddling.
Photo Credit: Al Bello/Getty Images
Things To Do
The Poconos area offers couples plenty of opportunities for things to do during their romantic getaway. Activities available include spending the day at the spa, heading out to go shopping and enjoying the great outdoors. Here are some of the many activities available in the Poconos area.
- Biking - Take a bike ride through the hills of the Poconos.
- Bird watching - Spend time sitting down and relaxing with a pair of binoculars searching for the different birds found in the area.
- Carriage rides - Go out for a romantic carriage ride together through the hills and secluded paths in the area.
- Fishing - Head out onto the waters or sit on the riverbanks for an afternoon of fishing.
- Hiking - Explore the mountainside on a romantic hike through the many trails in the area.
- Horseback riding - There are many stables in the area where you can rent a horse and go for a ride or join in on a local tour by horseback.
- National, state and local parks - The Poconos area is filled with many different parks where you can go exploring and search for local wildlife.
- Skiing - Hit the slopes in the winter and then head back to your romantic room to warm up.
- Whitewater rafting - If you are looking for a more thrilling experience, head on out and go whitewater rafting.
- Zip lining - Explore the area high above on a zip line at one of the adventure zip line centers in the area.
Tours and sightseeing:
- Explore the waterfalls in the area where you can sit nearby and enjoy a picnic as you relax listening to the water falling.
- Stop by and get a map of the local area with must-see scenic locations and go on a romantic afternoon drive.
- Go back in time and enjoy a romantic trolley tour together as you hold hands and watch the scenery go by.
- Other tours in the Poncos area include air, boat, train and walking tours.
Other activities available for couples in the area include:
- Antique shopping
- Craft and specialty items shopping
- Shopping at the outlets, flea and farmers' markets
- Cultural and historical sites
- Gambling at local casinos
Photo Credit: Thinkstock
Places To Eat
Though many of the resorts offer all-inclusive packages that include meals, there are plenty of other dining opportunities throughout the area. Take some time away from your resort and explore the local area where you can find many different romantic restaurants to enjoy breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Here are some of the most romantic restaurants in the Poconos area:
Andrew Moore's Stone Bar Inn
Enjoy mouthwatering American cuisine, including Angus steaks and fresh seafood, at Andrew Moore's Stone Bar Inn. The dim lighting and dark walls set the mood for one of the more romantic locations in the Poconos.
The Big A Grillehouse & Tavern
Enjoy a romantic dinner sharing a plate of pasta or one of many grilled entrees at Big A Grillehouse and Tavern. This restaurant features traditional American grilled cuisine and a variety of other samplings from around the world.
French Manor Inn
Dine inside under candlelight or enjoy a romantic dinner overlooking the mountainside at the French Manor Inn. This restaurant features gourmet dinners influenced by both classical and nouvelle French cuisine.
Jorgenson's at the Dimmick Inn
Skip the formal dinner and enjoy a casual dinner that has all of the elegance and romance as a fine dining establishment. Jorgenson's at the Dimmick Inn offers nightly drink and dinner specials and a local artist gallery to enjoy right in the lobby.
The Willowtree Inn
Located in historic downtown Stroudsburg, The Willowtree Inn is the perfect location to enjoy a romantic dinner together. Sit outside on the patio and enjoy the view of a grand willow tree and McMichael's Creek.
Once you arrive in the Poconos, you will immediately discover why it is one of the most romantic destinations in the world. Make plans to experience the romantic, and sometimes wild side, of the Poconos. During your romantic getaway, you will be amazed by the 2,400 square miles of waterfalls, secluded country roads, historic treasures to explore and the many natural wonders in the area. You will find yourself agreeing that this area is definitely a must-see destination every couple should experience at least once in their lifetime.
Related: Best Cruises For Couples
Heather Landon is a freelance writer with more than 20 years of experience. She has combined two of her passions - writing and travel - to share her experiences with others. You can read more of her articles at Examiner.com.
for more features.