Watch CBS News

Police Seek 2 Suspects After 17-Year-Old Shot, Killed In Stoughton

STOUGHTON (CBS) – Stoughton Police are searching for two suspects after a teen from Randolph was shot and killed Tuesday afternoon. Dozens of officers responded to the Walnut Park Condominiums on Jones Terrace after a report of shots fired at about 3:30 p.m.

Area residents directed officers to a silver Honda sedan. The victim, identified as 17-year-old Christian Vines from Randolph, was seated in the driver's seat of the car and was suffering from an apparent gunshot.

Officers removed him from the vehicle and began first-aid. He was taken to Good Samaritan Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Christian Vines
Christian Vines (Family Photo)

As police scoured the car for evidence, Christian's mother ducked under the crime scene tape. It was her car and police delivered the news it was her son found shot dead behind the wheel.

"That's my baby. That's my baby," Annette Vines said. "If you know something please say something."

She said she doesn't know why her son was in the area. "I'm in shock," Vines said. "That's all I can say because I really don't know much."

Stoughton Shooting
Police investigate fatal shooting on Jones Terrace in Stoughton (WBZ-TV)

The shooting is not believed to be a random act. "We believe that there is no threat to the residents here," Norfolk District Attorney Michael Morrissey said. "The suspects appear to have left the area and we are going to continue the investigation and we are obviously looking for the public's help."

The report of two male suspects fleeing the scene triggered a heavily armed search of the area by local and State Police using both K9s and helicopters. The Jones School and the town library were locked down after the shooting.

"The victim had no obvious connection to the apartment complex, was not known to Stoughton Police, and his reason for being in the area remains the subject of investigation," the Norfolk District Attorney's office said.

Police are interviewing witnesses and looking for surveillance video from the area.

Annette Vines said her son always had a smile on his face and was set to graduate from Avon High School on August 8.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.