BOSTON (CBS) -- Shane Victorino arrived in Fort Myers and declared himself to have no limitations when it comes to getting on the field.
Of course, the logjam in the outfield, with Hanley Ramirez, Rusney Castillo and Mookie Betts all looking to have a lock on starting spots in the lineup, it appears as though there may be limitations outside of the veteran outfielder's control.
"I know exactly where I need to fit in," Victorino said. "If I'm healthy, I'm not worried about anything else. How I look at it is hey, I'm preparing myself to be an everyday player, I've prepared myself to be healthy. ... For me, I go in there with the mind-set that I'm prepared, I'm ready to play every day. And that's how I'm going out there.
"I have no intentions of being a bench player."
Victorino, 34, played in just 30 games last year due to injury. That absence came after he was among the most valuable members of the World Series-winning team in 2013, and it's clear that Victorino still sees himself as capable of contributing in 2015.
"I've been around this game long enough. I don't have to sit here and talk about and focus on the things like 'Do I have to prove myself?' Yeah, I mean, I have to prove that I'm healthy. I don't have to prove anything else in regards to the game of baseball. I think more importantly, I have to prove that I'm healthy, which is the biggest thing and my biggest concern and everybody's concern coming off major back surgery.
"But as I said, I'm focused, I'm prepared, I've done everything I can possibly do to prepare myself. So I'll be ready for the challenge, and I'll be ready to go and have some fun."
The Red Sox won't hold full-squad workouts until Feb. 25, and the spring games won't begin until early March. But already, how closely Victorino's vision matches with manager John Farrell's is sure to be among the biggest storylines in Fort Myers this year.
for more features.