Watch CBS News

Boston Marathon Bombings Suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Captured After Manhunt

BOSTON (CBS) - One Boston Marathon bombing suspect is dead and the other - his brother - was taken into custody in Watertown Friday night.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, was found hiding in a boat in the backyard of a home. The homeowner reported seeing blood on the wrap of the boat, and police quickly descended on the area. The suspect sustained unknown injuries during a gunfight with police early Friday morning.

Latest Developments

His brother, 26-year-old Tamerlan Tsarnaev, is the other suspect.  He was killed by police overnight in Watertown. CBS News correspondent John Miller says Tamerlan threw a pressure cooker bomb at police before he was shot and killed.

The men are originally from Russia in the region near Chechnya.

SWAT teams searched dozens of Watertown homes Friday but did not find Tsarnaev.

Related: Bombing Suspects' Uncle Tells WBZ He's Shocked

CBS News correspondent Bob Orr reported the brothers were believed to be living legally in the U.S., but they were not here as students.

The network reported Friday afternoon that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev became an American citizen on Sept. 11, 2012.

Orr said the FBI used State Department records to match the names to photos of the men at the marathon finish line Monday.


On Friday morning, authorities asked everyone in Boston, Watertown, Newton, Waltham, Belmont and Cambridge to stay indoors while heavily armed officers searched for Tsarnaev.

Photos: The Manhunt

All MBTA public transportation was also shut down.

Despite not having a suspect in custody, Governor Deval Patrick lifted the stay-in order shortly after 6p.m. Friday evening and MBTA service was restored.


The bomber's father, Anzor Tsarnaev spoke from his home in the Russian city of Makhachkala Friday afternoon.

"My sons have been set up," Anzor Tsarnaev said in Russian.

"Dzhokhar is a second-year medical student in the U.S. He is such an intelligent boy," he told the AP. "We expected him to come on holidays here."

The suspects' uncle, Ruslan Tsarni of Montgomery Village, Maryland, told WBZ-TV the brothers came to America in 2000 or 2001 and have lived in Cambridge since then.

Tsarni said he had not seen them since December 2005.

Later Tsarni pleaded on live television: "Dzhokhar, if you are alive, turn yourself in and ask for forgiveness."


Dzhokhar was a student at UMass-Dartmouth, which was evacuated Friday after the news broke.

Students there told WBZ-TV's Beth Germano he played soccer and at least one described him as a "pothead."

Two other students said they had seen him on campus after the bombings – once on Tuesday, and once on Wednesday.

A friend of the brothers told WBZ-TV that both attended Cambridge Rindge and Latin Academy, where they wrestled and boxed in high school.


Tamerlan Tsarnaev, known as suspect number one in the black hat in the FBI photos, was wounded in a pursuit.

Related: Tamerlan: 'I Don't Have A Single American Friend'

He was captured and rushed to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, where he died at 1:35 a.m.  Doctors said he had gunshot wounds and a blast injury.  The wounds were throughout the trunk of his body.


Boston Police released a surveillance image of Dzhokhar around 4:20 a.m. Friday. He is the man with the white baseball hat in the FBI photos released Thursday in connection with the bombings probe.

Bombing Suspect
Boston Marathon bombings suspect #2, now identified as Dzhokhar Tsarnaev

"We believe this to be a terrorist," Boston Police commissioner Ed Davis told reporters. "We believe this is a man who's come here to kill people."


The chaotic turn of events in the investigation began late Thursday night.

At 10:30 p.m. MIT campus police officer Sean Collier was found shot multiple times in his car in the area of Vassar and Main streets.  He was rushed to Massachusetts General Hospital where he died.

According to WBZ-TV Chief Correspondent Joe Shortsleeve, the brothers ambushed Collier, shot him five or six times and once in the head.  Collier never drew his weapon.  His gun was found in his holster.  Five 9 mm shells were found at the scene. It is unclear what led up to the shooting.

Police originally believed the brothers may have held up a convenience store in the area, but later stated that was not the case.

Related: Bombing Suspect's Friend: 'Just A Normal American Kid'

Massachusetts State Police said the brothers did stop at a 7-11 to purchase gas. They spent the night in a Honda Civic (originally reported to be a CRV) and used it to carjack a Mercedes SUV in the area of Third Street in Cambridge. One of the brothers stayed with the carjacking victim for a few minutes and then let him go at a gas station on Memorial Drive. He was not injured.

Police said one brother drove away in the Civic, and the other one drove away in the Mercedes.

One then abandoned the Civic in Cambridge and joined up with his brother again in the Mercedes.

According to Shortsleeve, MBTA transit police intercepted the Mercedes in Cambridge and followed it.

A source told Shortsleeve the brothers lost control of the car and crashed it.  A gunfight with police erupted and an MBTA police officer was shot and seriously wounded.

Watch: Video: Gunfire, Explosions In Watertown Confrontation

Miller reported that Tamerlan Tsarnaev threw a bomb at police as he approached them and that's when officers shot and killed him. This bomb is reported to be a pressure cooker bomb, the same that was used in the Boston Marathon attack. Miller says the lid of the pressure cooker came off before it exploded, so it was not as severe of a blast.

State Police say numerous pieces of evidence is being recovered from several Watertown scenes including evidence of homemade explosives, including pipe bombs and the pressure cooker, as well as more than 200 spent rounds.


Shortsleeve's source said Dzhokhar Tsarnaev then jumped back in the Mercedes, drove over his brother's body, threw bombs at police and crashed again.  He ran off and that sparked the massive manhunt in Watertown.

Sources indicated to Shortsleeve the theory is the brothers were robbing people in order to get cash to escape the area.

It's not clear why the brothers allegedly killed the MIT officer, but the theory is the brothers may have seen him on his cell phone and they thought he was calling them in.

The FBI released new enhanced photos of the two Boston Marathon bombing suspects on its website around 2 a.m. Friday, as the chaotic series of events erupted overnight outside of the city.

WBZ-TV released video of a man laid out on a street in Watertown overnight, with his arms spread out over his head on the ground as police surrounded him.

The man was then apparently ordered to remove his clothes or had his clothes removed before he was handcuffed and put in the back of a police cruiser.

Watch the video:

There's no official word yet on who this man is or why he was taken into custody.  It was later revealed that the man is not believed to be involved in the incidents.

All Boston hospitals have been placed in lockdown as a precaution.

Several private schools and colleges have been closed for the day.  Public schools in Massachusetts were already closed this week for April vacation.

Amtrak service between Boston and New York has also been suspended.

SWAT Teams Go House-To-House In Watertown

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.