Watch CBS News

Olivia Ambrose Found Alive In Charlestown; Man Charged With Kidnapping

BOSTON (CBS) – A 23-year-old woman who went missing from a Boston bar on Saturday night has been found alive and a man has been charged with kidnapping. Olivia Ambrose was taken to a hospital for evaluation after she was found in an apartment on Walford Way in Charlestown Tuesday afternoon.

The suspect, 38-year-old Victor Pena, was arrested after police entered his apartment and found Ambrose. Pena could face additional charges according to Boston Police Commissioner William Gross.

Victor Pena
Victor Pena was arrested in Charlestown Jan. 22 and charged with kidnapping. (WBZ-TV)

A spokesperson for the Ambrose family thanked police and the community. "The Ambrose family is so grateful for the monumental efforts of the Boston Police Department and the MBTA and Transit police who have worked tirelessly over the last three days to bring Olivia home," Gina Addis said.

Hours before Ambrose was found, police released photos of a man who was labeled as a "person of interest" in connection with the case. Police now believe that man is Victor Pena. 

Along with the photos, police released an updated timeline of the moments before they believe Ambrose went missing Saturday night.

WBZ-TV's Jim Smith reports

According to police, Ambrose left Hennessy's Bar on Union Street around 11:04 p.m. She was with a white man who has been determined to not be involved in her disappearance.

At 11:42 p.m., "two unknown males are observed inviting Ms. Ambrose to walk with them in the area of Congress Street and State Street. One of the males appears to walk ahead while the second male places his arm around Ms. Ambrose and directs her towards the State Street MBTA Station."

victor pena
Victor Pena seen on surveillance video the night of the kidnapping. (Photo credit: Boston Police)

About 20 minutes later, Ambrose is seen on surveillance video with the same man, who police say is Victor Pena, leaving the Bunker Hill Community MBTA Station in Charlestown. His arm is still around her. The other man is no longer visible. Police are still trying to identify the second man.

"It's obvious from the video surveillance that she did not go along willingly," Gross said.

olivia ambrose
Olivia Ambrose. (Photo credit: Boston Police)

At 12:13 a.m., police say Ambrose and Pena are seen near Green Street walking towards Bartlett Street. "A short time later, phone records indicate Ms. Ambrose's phone was in the general area of the Bunker Hill Housing Development," said police.

Gross said officers searched schools, fields, dumpsters and knocked on countless doors. "Eventually, we did not force entry, the suspect opened the door," Gross said. "Then we observed the victim."

Police say they still don't have a motive, and aren't sure if Pena was inside Hennessy's on Saturday night. They have not yet been able to interview Ambrose about any weapons he may have shown or threats made to coerce her.

At least one of Pena's neighbors says she had a chilling encounter with him months ago. "Last year he was following me and my daughter, stalking, it was in the summertime," one woman said. "He looked like crazy."

Pena is scheduled to be arraigned in Charlestown District Court on Wednesday.

Watch: Ed Davis On Investigation

WBZ Security Analyst Ed Davis says this case is extraordinary because 95% of missing people who are located are found within the first 24-48 hours. Ambrose was missing for three days. "This is a classic case of modern day detective work," Davis said. "They used video and surveillance cameras coupled with cellular phone pinging to identify the location."

Davis said the community also played a role by bringing police to the right place. "This is a remarkable case and thankfully the woman is alive," Davis said.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.