Watch CBS News

Snake Slithers Into Medford Home, Bites 9-Month-Old Boy

MEDFORD (CBS) - A Medford family had some scary moments Saturday morning. A five foot snake bit the family's nine month old baby right in the kitchen.

"I saw a five foot long snake right there next to him and I screamed," said mom Jenna Lees-Rolfe.

She was making breakfast when the snake came out from underneath the refrigerator and bit her son James.

James was bitten by a snake in a Medford home (WBZ-TV)

"Terrified, I didn't know if it was poisonous or not so the last thing you want near your child is a snake," said Lees-Rolfe.

A friend who is a doctor checked out the baby and he was OK.

Snake bite
Jenna Lees-Rolfe and James (WBZ-TV)

"He has no signs of any kind of poison his bite had zero inflammation," said Lees-Rolfe.

Animal control told the family it was a milk snake and that it most likely got in through the garage and worked its way up through the home's pipes.

Milk snake that bit a baby in a Medford home (WBZ-TV)

Lees-Rolfe is originally from Australia, which is known to have deadly snakes. She said as kids they're taught what to do it they get bitten. She says she lived in Australia for 26 years and never had a snake get inside her home.

"The irony is just really funny at the end of the day," said Lees-Rolfe.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.