BOSTON (CBS) - Boston housing inspectors have uncovered dozens of safety and health violations in student apartments around the Allston neighborhood.
Mayor Tom Menino ordered the sweep after a fire on Linden street last month. It left several students injured, one critically, after jumping from a second story window.
This week, inspectors spent three days checking other nearby apartments. They found more than 40 violations in 25 homes. The problems range from rat and mouse infestations, to overcrowding, and missing smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
WBZ-TV's Christina Hager reports
"I found a mouse on the counter-top and it ran in our stove the other day," said a tenant on Ashford Street who didn't want to be named. "I live here because people can't afford to live anywhere else in the city."
"Our front door wasn't locking for months," said another tenant.
Inspectors plan to hit the neighborhood again Friday, to hand out pamphlets with safety information. "Boston is home to thousands of students," said Mayor Menino. "They all deserve a safe place to live."
for more features.