MERRIMAC -- Three firefighters were hospitalized after working to put out a fire in Merrimac on Sunday. Crews responded to Skunk Road around 2:15 p.m.
The first to arrive found "extremely heavy flames," the fire department said. That fire spread to nearby brush and wood creating a significant threat.
"The fire extended from the home on the right-hand side here and it started burning the woods and grass in the area and into the power lines which are National Grid's power lines, notified them of the fire, they sent their gas and electric crews out here, disconnected the gas from the home and to survey their power lines to make sure that that wasn't going to be an issue," explained Fire Chief Larry Fisher.
"It could have been much, much worse," he continued. Those power lines service a large area and if the fire had spread to them, it would have caused a widespread blackout.
At one point, a propane tank outside the home began to leak causing flames to shoot out like a blow torch.
One firefighter was taken to the hospital for a heart-related medical emergency and two more were treated for injuries sustained during the response.
Fisher said none of the injuries are life-threatening.
Water supply and water pressure issues made it more difficult for firefighters as well.
Two people were home at the time but they got out safely. The house is a total loss.
It's unclear what started the fire.
for more features.