Watch CBS News

Suspect In Philly Abduction Held Without Bail In Towson, Now Linked To Va. Case

TOWSON, Md. (WJZ)—Snatched off the street. The Philadelphia woman violently kidnapped is now back with her family after being rescued here in Maryland. Thursday afternoon, her accused abductor appeared in a Towson court.

Rochelle Ritchie has the latest on the suspect, who some are calling a serial abductor

The accused abductor is wanted on a fugitive warrant out of Virginia, where he is charged with attempted capital murder and forcible rape of a 16-year-old girl.

Delvin Barnes, 37, sits behind bars in Baltimore County after being arrested in Jessup for the abduction of 22-year-old Carlesha Freeland-Gaither.

Surveillance video of the night Freeland-Gaither was abducted led the FBI, ATF and Philadelphia police on a 24/7 manhunt that spanned into Maryland.

On Wednesday night, two days after the abduction, came good news.

"Carlesha Freeland has been rescued. Her abductor has been arrested," said Ed Hanko, FBI.

Freeland-Gaither was found in a vehicle with Barnes in Jessup.

"Thank you for being there for us. I'm taking my baby home," said Keisha Gaither, victim's mother, at a press conference.

Watch the full police press conference:

Sky Eye Chopper 13 was the first at the scene as the car Barnes was driving was towed away.

"As we approached the car, he totally shocked, surprised to see these ATF agents coming at him," an agent said.

A GPS device installed in the car by the dealer helped track Barnes down. Investigators used surveillance video to track down the car dealership where Barnes purchased the vehicle he used to abduct Freeland-Gaither. The dealer then turned on the GPS tracking device, and police found Barnes within five minutes.

The character of Barnes is slowly being built into that of what police call a serial predator and a thug.

On Thursday, he appeared in Baltimore County District Court via video. He is now being held at the detention center and awaiting extradition to Virginia on a fugitive warrant for the abduction of a 16-year-old girl and faces charges of rape, attempted murder and malicious wounding with a chemical.

"He is obviously being held with attempted capital murder as well as a chemical burn weapon to that victim as well as kidnapping and abduction as well," said Karen Pilarski, Baltimore County assistant state's attorney.

The 16-year-old girl was reported missing by her parents in Richmond on Oct. 1. Two days later,  she showed up at a Charles City County business on Route 106 naked, bleeding and covered in burns. She smelled of bleach and gasoline.

Investigators with the Charles City County Sheriff's Office in Virginia say the teenage girl told them she was hit over the head by Barnes with a shovel, thrown in the trunk of a car, taken to his home, doused with gasoline, asked how she wanted to die. She was able to escape.

"He's a vicious predator. He is off the street. Hopefully, and hopefully he will be in jail for the rest of his life," said Commissioner Charles Ramsey, Philadelphia Police.

Investigators say there is no indication he knew Freeland-Gaither, who was seen leaving Howard County General after being treated. Worried friends and family are now thankful.

"Thank you. Thank you for everybody that supported her family, prayers. God did this. God did this. Thank you," a family friend said.

Barnes' criminal history is long and violent. In 2005 he served eight years for assaulting his estranged wife.

Barnes is held in Baltimore County without bail. He will be extradited back to Virginia by Nov. 12.

Other Local News:

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.