Since the first game in the series, the Ravens and 49ers matchups have had some interesting storylines. From defensive battles to the Harbowl, the two teams, one in the AFC and one NFC, have had similar trajectory. Just 3 years ago, an eternity in the NFL, these two teams faced off on the biggest stage in professional sports, the Super Bowl. Now both teams are scratching for relevance in their divisions, sitting at 1-4. Now it seems the storyline is desperation.
Here is a rundown of the complete series between the Ravens and the 49ers:
5. November 17, 1996 - The first matchup of them all was in San Francisco, CA in front of nearly 52,000 people. But even after an early lead with Michael Jackson's 65-yard pass from Vinny Testaverde and a point-after kick from Matt Stover, the game ended with the 49er's winning, 38-20.
4. November 30, 2003 - During this game the defense returned with force, the offense showed up, and the special teams were spectacular. This combination added up to one of the most lopsided victories in the history of the Baltimore Ravens, a 44-6 win over the San Francisco 49ers. This was also the game that Ray Lewis returned an interception 29 yards for a touchdown.
3. October 7, 2007 - Ed Reed, Ray Lewis and crew nearly suffocated San Francisco on all but a few plays, and Matt Stover put up three field goals for the Ravens' 9-7 victory. At that time, San Francisco had coach Mike Nolan who was the Ravens' defensive coordinator for three years before taking over the 49ers in 2005.
2. November 24, 2011 - This was the Thanksgiving game to remember. It was the first time in NFL history that two brothers went up against each other as head coaches. But let this video take you back and down on to the sidelines with the very enthusiastic Harbs'. In this match up, big brother and Ravens head coach John Harbaugh came away with the win after the game was held almost strictly to field goals from both teams, but the Ravens won out with the only touchdown of the game.
1. February 3, 2013 - The very obvious, most crucial and overall coolest match up for the two teams was Super Bowl XLVII, when the ravens came away with the Vince Lombardi Trophy. Baltimore's goal-line stand secured a 34-31 win after power outages, interceptions and a season defined by adversity. By taking a final stand, literally, at the very end of the fourth quarter, the Ravens came away with this epic win.
The next matchup between the Baltimore Ravens and San Fransisco 49ers is this Sunday, October 18. Who do you think will come away with the win?
for more features.