Watch CBS News

$3.5M Fire At Washington College Started In Plastic Smokers' Receptacle

CHESTERTOWN, Md. (WJZ) -- WJZ has learned what sparked a destructive fire at Washington College in Chestertown.

The State Fire Marshal's Office says the four-alarm blaze started in a plastic smokers' receptacle.

The building was being leased by the college and used for the school's finance and IT departments.

No one was inside at the time.

The fire is estimated to have caused $3.5 million in damage.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.