Watch CBS News

Vallejo Man Welding Leaky Gas Tank Sparks Fire, Suffers Severe Burns

VALLEJO (CBS SF) -- A man was critically burned from a house fire in Vallejo early Tuesday morning that reportedly started while he was working on his car.

Firefighters found flames that were spreading from the garage to the house around 12:30 a.m.

Sources tell KPIX 5 the fire was started by a man welding a leaking gas tank in that car. The fire spread, destroying the car and the garage.

Firefighters used a chain saw to cut open the roof to vent the flames and smoke.

They say sparks from the welding started the car fire which spread to the garage.

Firefighters say the man is lucky the car didn't blow up.

He suffered second and third degree burns throughout his upper body.

Firefighters say a woman inside the house and some pets got out safely.

Aside from the garage, the house was also damaged from smoke and water, according to firefighters.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.