Watch CBS News

Suspect That Shot SFPD Officer In Head Dies In Hospital

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) -- A man who allegedly shot a police officer in the head Friday night in San Francisco's Lake Shore neighborhood died Sunday afternoon, police and hospital officials said.

The suspect, whose name has not been released yet, died at around 3 p.m. at Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital at 1001 Potrero Avenue, hospital spokesman Brent Andrew said.

The suspect's confrontation with police began around 8:15 p.m., when officers responded to the Lakeshore Shopping Center at 1501 Sloat Blvd.  after receiving a call about a man causing a disturbance and making threats, police said.

When officers encountered the man in the first block of Everglade Drive, he fired several shots toward the officers, striking one of them in the head. The suspect then ran toward Sigmund Stern Grove, according to police.

The injured officer's partner provided first aid and requested backup, and officers established a perimeter around Stern Grove Park, police said.

The suspect came out of the bushes at 28th Avenue and Vicente Street and tried to run away. Officers however chased and shot the suspect, who fell to the ground while holding his gun to his chest and refusing to surrender, according to police.

Tactical officers used flash-bang devices to distract the man, and were able to arrest him. The suspect was taken to San Francisco General Hospital for treatment, police said.

Interim Police Chief Toney Chaplin said on Saturday his officers are looking into the suspect's background.

The injured officer was in critical but stable condition on Saturday at San Francisco General Hospital.

Chaplin said Saturday that the officer was partially paralyzed on one side of his body.

Chaplin said the officer has been with the department for two years and is assigned to Taraval Station.

The interim chief said information has been circulating that the officer's injury was a graze wound.

"It was a lot more than that," he said. "One centimeter down and this may have been a fatality for the officer. He underwent surgery to remove fragments from his brain."

San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee issued a statement Saturday morning saying, "Last night I received one of those calls that as a mayor you never want to receive. The phone call that tells you a police officer has been shot in the line of duty."

"Each day, the members of the San Francisco Police Department face uncertainty and danger with the purpose of protecting our city and its residents. My thoughts remain with the officer and his family."

Chaplin said a town hall meeting will be held this week to give residents information about the shooting.

© Copyright 2016 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.