Watch CBS News

Second Escaped Palo Alto Inmate Arrested In San Leandro

SAN LEANDRO (CBS SF) -- The second of two inmates who staged a brazen escape during a court appearance in Palo Alto several weeks ago was arrested Sunday morning in San Leandro, according to authorities.

The Santa Clara County Sheriff's Department Twitter account posted about the arrest Sunday afternoon, thanking the U.S. Marshals who took the suspect, John Bivins, into custody.

Authorities said "relentless investigation... through the Thanksgiving holiday led investigators to the Fairmont Inn" in San Leandro Sunday.

Investigators saw Bivins walking out the hotel Sunday morning and approached the suspect, ordering him to surrender. Bivins refused to comply and had to be taken into custody by force, according to the U.S. Marshals.

Bivins was injured during the arrest and was treated at an area hospital. Authorities said he would be transported to Santa Clara after receiving treatment.

Additional criminal charges could be filed against Bivins in both state and federal courts, to include escape, felon in possession of a firearm, and attempted murder of a federal agent, and state peace officer, authorities said.

"We are extremely pleased that John Bivins is in custody. The capture of John Bivins and Tramel McClough were only possible by the unwavering determination of the U.S. Marshals, Sheriff's Office Detectives, and numerous allied agencies. We are grateful for the continued interagency collaboration," said Santa Clara County Sheriff Laurie Smith.

Bevins and fellow escapee Tramel McClough escaped November 6 while making an appearance at a Palo Alto courthouse for hearings last week.

The pair was able to escape even though they were handcuffed and guarded by a sheriff's deputy. Marquita Kirk and Rene Hunt were both arrested on suspicion of conspiracy and being an accessory after the fact for aiding in the brazen escape.

Bevins and McClough had been arrested in February on suspicion of stealing $64,400 worth of cellphones and other merchandise from a Verizon store in Sunnyvale.

According to police, the two men were wearing masks when they allegedly forced the store's employees to open the store's safe and then tied them up and locked them in a bathroom. One was armed with a handgun and the other with a knife.

Last Tuesday, the pair was spotted on I-5 near Stockton around 5 p.m. The CHP attempted a traffic stop, but the pair instead fled and a chase ensued.

Officers followed the car to a Walmart where McClough bailed out and was arrested. Meanwhile, Bivins took the wheel and fled.

Officers later cornered Bivins on Trinity Parkway. That was when gunfire erupted.

Witnesses captured the shots being fired on video as officers screamed at the man to stay down. Bivins didn't, and managed to get away.

SUV, Bivins, CHP Stockton
(Stockton CHP)

Meantime, investigators released a surveillance photo of Bivins taken at a convenience store along with a photo of an SUV. They say he may be driving a green, 1999 Ford Explorer with the license plates 7TYY505.


View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.