SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- San Francisco's top prosecutor says he will seek $1 million to help curtail car break-ins in the city, which last year recorded more than 30,000 auto burglaries.
District Attorney George Gascon said Wednesday the money is needed to form an auto burglary task force. He said he would ask the Board of Supervisors for the funds.
He also announced a website and telephone tip line to report car break-ins.
Gascon says he wants to re-start a program that would register private surveillance cameras that could then provide evidence to police.
He says street gangs are responsible for up to 80 percent of auto burglaries in San Francisco.
Last month, San Francisco Police Chief Bill Scott said he plans to have officers dedicated to property crimes in all 10 stations.
© Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
for more features.