Watch CBS News

Passenger's Backpack Catches Fire At Mineta San Jose Airport

SAN JOSE (CBS SF) -- A backpack that caught on fire near a boarding gate at Mineta San Jose International Airport was quickly extinguished Wednesday evening, an airport spokeswoman said Thursday.

The backpack belonged to a passenger waiting near Gate 22 at Terminal B and caught fire around 6 p.m., airport spokeswoman Rosemary Barnes said.

Firefighters, police officers and airport operations staff responded to the area and quickly put out the flames with a nearby extinguisher, Barnes said.

Fire crews determined the blaze started with a reaction between the passenger's AA batteries and copper jewelry in the backpack, Barnes said.

No injuries were reported, she said.

© Copyright 2016 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.