Hallucinating Man Burns Self, Starts Small Grass Fire After Climbing Utility Pole in Sunnyvale
SUNNYVALE (CBS SF)— A hallucinating man climbing a utility pole in Sunnyvale Monday night knocked a wire down, burning himself and starting a small grass fire, a Sunnyvale Department of Public Safety captain said.
Firefighters responded just before midnight on Monday to a vegetation fire on Elm Court and found a burn victim there too, Capt. Jeff Hunter said.
The fire was quickly extinguished and the burn victim was taken to a hospital. He remained in critical condition this morning, Hunter said.
Investigators located some friends of the burn victim who had been with him before the accident. They said he had taken some hallucinogenic drugs and wandered off.
The man had apparently climbed the pole, bringing down the wire and nearly electrocuting himself, Hunter said.
© Copyright 2014 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
for more features.