SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) -- BART officials say a discarded cigarette caused an equipment fire at the Civic Center station in San Francisco, forcing the evacuation of the station during the Friday evening commute.
The fire was first reported around 7 p.m. fire in a fan room at the Civic Center station and caused a major delay on the system.
As of 7:42 p.m. the fire was out and the station was open again but residual system delays persisted, BART spokeswoman Anna Duckworth said.
© Copyright 2018 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Bay City News contributed to this report
for more features.