Watch CBS News

Elderly San Jose Woman Dies After Brutal Attack In September Home Invasion

SAN JOSE (CBS SF) -- An elderly woman who was severely beaten during a home invasion robbery at her South Bay home last month died from her injuries early Saturday morning, Santa Clara County sheriff's officials said.

The 88-year-old victim, Florence Douglas, died around 1:50 a.m., sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Rich Glennon said in a statement.

Douglas, also known as Miss Flo, had suffered multiple bone fractures and internal hemorrhaging to her eyes and brain and had remained in an intensive care unit in critical condition since the robbery occurred on Sept. 12 at her unincorporated East San Jose home.

San Jose resident Zachary Cuen, who was arrested just three days later in connection with the initial assault and robbery, will now be charged with murder, according to Glennon.

Zachary Cuen suspect in violent home invasion
Zachary Cuen. (CBS)

Cuen, 19, was already facing charges of attempted murder with premeditated attempted murder, first-degree robbery, first-degree burglary and elder abuse each with a special allegation of personally inflicting great bodily injury. If convicted on those charges, Cuen faces a life sentence, prosecutors said.

Cuen remains in custody without bail and had been scheduled to appear in court on Nov. 3, according to jail records.

On the night of Sept. 12, Cuen allegedly entered Douglas' home in the 200 block of North Cragmont Avenue. He demanded money from her and threatened to kill her if she didn't follow his orders, prosecutors said.

When the elderly woman said she had none, the defendant repeatedly punched and kicked her even after she was knocked down to the ground. Cuen allegedly left the residence for a brief moment, returned and continued to beat Douglas, according to prosecutors.

He then allegedly ransacked the residence, took the woman's property and left in her car that had been parked in the garage, prosecutors said.

Cuen was identified as the suspect through a latent fingerprint left at the home, according to prosecutors.

The victim had lived in her home since 1964, according to her family.

© Copyright 2016 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.