Watch CBS News

BBQ Sparks Fire at Santa Rosa Home

SANTA ROSA (CBS SF) -- A BBQ on an outdoor deck reportedly sparked a late night fire and damaged a Santa Rosa house Wednesday night, local fire officials said.

Firefighters responded around 9 p.m. to the blaze on Hershey Court, a small cul-de-sac off of Marlow Road, and arrived to find the exterior deck and fence burning.

Crews entered the home and confirmed that the family living there had evacuated safely. The fire damaged the left rear corner of the home and extended into the attic, causing an estimated $40,000 in damage overall, according to the fire department.

Investigators determined a BBQ on the deck on the left side of the home was used just prior to the fire, and hot embers sparked the flames that extended into the structure.

The residents are staying with other family members living locally, fire officials said.

EMERGENCY COMPONENT - LOCAL

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.