Watch CBS News

4 Arrested In Fatal Stabbing Of Student At Fremont House Party

FREMONT (CBS SF) - Police have made four arrests in a fatal stabbing that occurred after a Fremont house party turned violent.

Fremont police Sgt. Jeff Campbell said officers were dispatched to a house party near Yellowstone Park and Hyde Park drives at 11:19 p.m. Saturday after receiving multiple reports of shots fired and a possible stabbing.

The officers found 18-year-old Osana Futi lying in the street suffering from stab wounds, Campbell said. He was taken to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

KCBS' Matt Bigler Reports:

Police didn't find any evidence of shots fired in the area where Futi was found, Campbell said. It appears that Futi died of stab wounds, but an autopsy was conducted today to try to confirm that, he said.

Campbell said 18-year-old Abraham Hade of Fremont has been arrested on suspicion of murder in connection with Futi's death and three juveniles have been arrested for allegedly being accessories to murder.

Fremont police plan to present a report to the Alameda County District Attorney's Office on Tuesday morning to seek the filing of charges against Hade and the three juveniles, Campbell said.

Hade is tentatively scheduled to be arraigned in Alameda County Superior Court in Fremont on Tuesday afternoon.

The victim was a Newark Memorial High School football star who was going to graduate in June and planned to attend a community college in the fall, a school official said Monday.

Futi "was very gregarious and outgoing," said Dave Marken, the superintendent of the Newark Unified School District.

Marken said Futi, who played halfback and linebacker, and the team's quarterback were in his office on Thursday to talk about their plans.

"He only had a month to go to finish high school and then he planned to play football at a community college," Marken said. "This is a tragedy."

A bake sale was Monday evening at Newark Memorial High School to raise money to help Futi's family defray the costs of his funeral expenses, followed by a candlelight vigil at the school's football field.

Futi had some anger management issues as a result of the stabbing death of his close friend and football teammate Justice Afoa, 17, in Newark on Dec. 15, 2010, and was expelled from school, Marken said.

But he said Futi dealt with those issues, was reinstated in school and "was taking care of business" and was set to graduate with his classmates on June 8.

School officials said Futi was named the Mission Valley Athletic League's defensive player of the year in 2011.

Newark police Cmdr. Mike Carroll said Afoa's homicide is still under investigation and no one has been arrested at this point.

Carroll said Newark investigators will meet with Fremont investigators to try to figure out if there's any connection between the deaths of Afoa and Futi.

Marken said Futi was born in Samoa and six years ago he came to Newark, where he attended both junior high and high school.

He said Futi's mother is still in Samoa but Futi lived with a surrogate mother and other relatives in the Newark area.

Marken said Newark's school district is a close-knit community because it only includes one junior high and one high school so Futi's death strikes it harder than would the death of a student in a larger school district.

"There are family traditions and friendships that are very deep and long-lasting," Marken said.

(Copyright 2012 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.