Watch CBS News

2 Hospitalized From Chemical Spill In Downtown SF Restaurant

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) -- A restaurant in downtown San Francisco was evacuated Tuesday afternoon because of a chemical spill, a fire department spokeswoman said.

The fire department responded to the One Market Street Restaurant, located at the foot of Market Street, at 2:15 p.m., spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge said.

Spilled hydrogen chloride was found in a bathroom at the establishment, and two people were suffering from medical symptoms, Talmadge said.

The pair affected were employees who had been cleaning the restroom, and they were transported to a hospital, she said.

Those who were evacuated were allowed to return to the restaurant shortly before 3 p.m. when the situation was deemed safe, Talmadge said.

(Copyright 2013 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.