Toxic Algae Alert Issued In Mendocino County After 2nd Dog Dies
POTTER VALLEY, Calif. (AP) - Authorities are urging people to keep their pets out of the Eel River in Northern California after a dog died from toxic algae.
It is the second confirmed canine fatality in two months linked to toxic algae and swimming in a North Coast stream. The first case involved a dog that died during an outing on the Russian River in Sonoma County.
The Santa Rosa Press Democrat reports Saturday that in the latest case, the stricken dog had been swimming earlier this month in the Eel River at a Potter Valley-area campground before becoming ill.
Mendocino County officials say tests this week confirmed the death was related to toxic algae.
They are advising people to avoid any water body in which they can see the algal scum and mats floating in the water or collecting along the shore.
Copyright 2015 The Associated Press.
for more features.