Watch CBS News

Person Rescued, Another Person Suspected Of Arson After Suisun City House Fire

SUISUN CITY (CBS13) – A person with a disability was rescued from a two-alarm house fire in Suisun City early Wednesday morning.

suisun city fire arson 2
Scene of the fire. (Credit: Suisun City Fire Department)

The scene was along the 300 block of Pintail Drive. Suisun City police say officers were in the area when the fire started and responded immediately.

Michael Kuibak wasn't home at the time, but knew something big was going down when he got home from work.

"What the heck happened!? It's just not something that happens every day," Kubiak, a resident of the home said. "At about 12:35, it was littered with fire trucks and police but all of the residents were outside and the fire was put out at that time."

Flames had engulfed the garage of the home, filling the house with thick smoke. Officers kicked down the front door, carried one person out who was an amputee and evacuated the rest of the home.

Firefighters then put the flames out. The Suisun City chief of police told CBS13 he's proud of his officers' quick actions. Kuibak and his neighbors are glad they were able to get everyone out of the house.

"Knowing that you're carrying out a body that's not able to help themselves, it's amazing!" Sharifa Thompson, a neighbor, said.

"We're really glad to know that officers are aware of everything and that they care for the community," Belen Soto said.

Investigators believe the fire was intentionally set. One person, 33-year-old Derek Rasmussen, had been arrested on suspicion of reckless arson.

But this home was more than just that; it was a community, a sober living home for those dealing with addiction. Kubiak told CBS13 that Rasmussen had previously lived at the home. So, learning one of those community members is accused of starting the fire is shocking.

"He has been a resident here. He just moved out over the weekend, coming back for some belongings from what I understand," Kuibak said. "Dropped a cigarette and just enough to ignite it and then the end result is the house is unlivable."

Kuibak says he'll pray for Rasmussen, while he and others living at the home, try to plan their next move all while staying sober.

"You know, I'm a time worker. I'm a full-time student. So, I just have to find somewhere I can land my feet," Kubiak said.

Kubiak told CBS13 that the amputee who was rescued was able to find a place to live after the fire.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.