SACRAMENTO (CBS13) - Deputies are searching for suspects after someone opened fire on a crowded apartment, wounding four people inside.
"We just ducked for cover. I thought we were getting hit so we just fell on the floor," said a neighbor, Madalyn Crosby.
Shots rang out in a tight knit community off of Myrtle Avenue, unfolding into a horrific scene that left two critically injured.
"They were hysterical. So many people were crying because nobody knew anything because they wouldn't open up the doors," Crosby said.
At around 9 p.m. on Monday, deputies say the suspect blasted multiple rounds through a closed front door. Bullets hit two women, a young man, and a 15-year-old girl.
"It's bad man. It didn't used to be like this. I've lived here for 11 years," said Dallas Rogers who was at home with his two kids during the shooting.
He said one of the alleged suspects came around three times prior to the incident, fighting innocent people, and ran off.
"They told the police, the mother said, 'Do something, do something,' because they knew something was coming," Rogers said.
There were 16 people in that apartment; five were children.
"Firing multiple shots through, indiscriminately through a door not knowing who's on the other side, there's really no justification for that whatsoever and it puts a lot of people at risk," said Sgt. Tony Turnbull with Sac County Sheriff Department.
A risk Rogers' said is one the management company has taken. Residents told CBS 13 the property has left decoy cameras and a gate broken for two years.
"This isn't the neighborhood we want. If they fix the gates and the cameras it would be different," Rogers said.
The daughter of one of the victims said her ex-boyfriend was one of the suspects.
Witnesses said he was in the apartment causing problems earlier that day.
Deputies haven't confirmed the suspects or a motive.
for more features.