Watch CBS News

Decision Day Arrives For Kings

SACRAMENTO (CBS13) - Today is decision day for Sacramento, when we could find out whether or not the Kings will stay put or go to Seattle.

The NBA's Board of Governors are meeting to decide whether a deal between the Maloofs and a Seattle group is allowed to move forward. The Seattle group spoke first, followed by a Sacramento group who wants to purchase the team and keep it in the capitol city.

Mayor Kevin Johnson is in Dallas for the meeting and told CBS13 this morning he won't get into a bidding war with the Seattle group.

"If I was up in Seattle I'd probably be fighting and clawing to do whatever was necessary as well," said Mayor Kevin Johnson. "They're a great NBA city. We want them to get a team someday, just not our team."

The lead investor of the Sacramento team, Vivek Ranadive, is presenting at the meeting.

The NBA Relocation Committee voted unanimously in April to recommend denying a possible move. The Board of Governors are expected to vote the same way.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.