Watch CBS News

SEPTA Police Officer Ervis Onuzi Released From Hospital After Being Shot In Frankford

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) -- The SEPTA police officer hurt in a shooting more than a week ago was released Friday from Temple University Hospital. There was celebration in the air as officer Ervis Onuzi was released from Temple Hospital for the first time since he was shot in the stomach more than a week ago.

Onuzi was rolled out of Temple University Hospital Friday.

Last Wednesday night, SEPTA and Philadelphia police rushed to Temple University Hospital in a show of support for Onuzi as he was rushed into surgery after being shot in a standoff. On Friday afternoon, many returned but this time to celebrate Onuzi as he was finally able to leave the hospital.

His fellow officers saluted his release before Onuzi got up from a wheelchair and walked into a SEPTA police vehicle.

"He was very annoyed that he had to go in a wheelchair. He wanted to walk from the ninth floor down to the car. He wanted to walk when we hit the entrance. Officer Onuzi is an amazing man," SEPTA Transit Police Chief Thomas Nestel said.

Onuzi has been at Temple Hospital for nine days, getting treated for a gunshot wound.

The 28-year-old was shot last week while trying to get another officer to safety during a shootout with an armed suspect.

"He's definitely a hero. He put himself in harm's way to save another person and that's tremendous. That's the greatest gesture any police officer can do," said Troy Parham with the SEPTA Transit Police Union.

Before Onuzi was escorted home, officer after officer fist bumped him, many sending words of encouragement over his recovery.

"This is huge. We're excited that he's doing well and he's finally coming out. We know the type of officer he is," Parham said.

"His mother is a strong Albanian mother. She told me he's done with policing. We've had a long discussion about that. I can tell you officer Onuzi is not done with policing," Nestel said.

According to Nestel, Onuzi suffered a very serious injury and faces a long recovery, but it could have been so much worse.

The accused shooter in the gun battle was killed by police.

CBS3's Matt Petrillo and Siafa Lewis contributed to this report.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.