Child Safety Experts Warn About Laundry Detergent Pods
PHILADELPHIA (CBS) -- Child safety advocates are warning parents to be careful with laundry detergent pods. A new study shows an increase in children getting sick after biting into the packets.
There has been an increase in emergency calls about the pods. Safety officials say parents need to take precautions.
Two years ago, Angela Avent says her child ate one of the packets and was placed on life support, before she ultimately recovered. "She was just foaming at the mouth, couldn't breathe, couldn't move. She was just laying there," Avent said.
"We want to let parents know, this is something they want to take caution with," said the study's co-author Henry Spiller. "Put it up in the cabinet. Put it behind a cabinet lock."
Several companies are now making the pods stronger and coating them with a bitter taste to prevent children from biting into them. Those new packages will hit store shelves next month.
for more features.