This recipe is easy to make in advance and serve to overnight guests or to make on the weekend and cut and serve for a quick, heart healthy workday breakfast.
A Recipe by Chef Walter Staib
Makes one 9x13 inch torta
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
½ pound baby spinach, rinsed and dried on paper towels
2 tablespoons finely chopped yellow onion
¼ pound mushrooms, sliced
1 red bell pepper, julienned
1 yellow bell pepper, julienned
2 extra large eggs & 8 egg whites
2 ½ cups skim milk
2 cups (8 ounces) reduced fat Swiss cheese
¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
¼ cup chopped fresh chives
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 375 °F., and coat a 9x13-inch baking dish with vegetable spray.
2. In a medium skillet, heat the oil over medium heat and add the garlic. Cook until golden, then add the spinach and cook until wilted. Season with freshly ground pepper to taste, drain off any excess liquid and set aside until ready to use.
3. To the same skillet, add the onion and cook until translucent. Toss in the mushrooms and peppers and cook until the liquid they release has evaporated. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
4. To make the filling, whisk together the eggs and egg whites milk, nutmeg, chives, and pepper in a medium bowl.
5. To assemble the torta, spread the vegetables in the pan, top with cheese and pour the egg filling overtop. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. Remove the torta from the oven, place on a rack to set for about 5 minutes. Cut torta into 16 portions, and serve.
for more features.