The 16-acre site still contains modest amounts of debris that must be removed over the next few weeks, but the bulk of the work is complete.
Here's a look at details of the eight-and-a-half-month cleanup:
- 1,642,698 tons of debris have been removed from ground zero; 190,568 in steel.
- The debris has been removed in 108,444 truckloads.
- More than 3.1 million hours of labor were required to excavate
- More than 19,500 body parts have been collected among the
- New York medical examiner has identified 1,102 victims. An
additional 1,616 death certificates have been issued without a
body, at the request of victims' families.
- New York police say 105 people are still classified as missing
in the trade center attack.
- Official count of victims of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks:
NEW YORK: 2,823 (Includes those killed in trade center and
aboard the two jetliners.)
WASHINGTON: 189 (Includes Pentagon and American Flight 77)
PENNSYLVANIA: 44 passengers and crew on United Flight 93.