- Go to Control Panel.
- Go to Power Options.
- Click Change plan settings for your selected power plan.
- Click Change advanced power settings.
- Expand Power buttons and lid.
- Expand Start menu power button.
- Change the setting from Sleep to Shut down.
- Click OK.
Done! Man, way to bury that setting, Microsoft. Here's a suggestion for Windows 7: Add a friggin' Shut Down button to the Start menu! Or let us right-click that "power button" and choose what function we want it to have. Sheesh! Yeah, damn right I'm mad. [via Digital Inspiration