Last Updated May 16, 2011 6:50 AM EDT
Here are the most common lies that sales reps tell themselves, the hidden truths behind them, and some sage advice for avoiding them.
- LIE #1: I'm pretty sure the customer has a budget.
- Why It's a Lie: Budget is either allocated or it's not.
- The Real Truth: You haven't fully qualified the lead.
- What Results: You spend time and effort on an account that probably won't close.
- Your Reality Check: Confirm that a budget exists before expending much effort on an opportunity.
- LIE #2: My pipeline consists only of fully qualified opportunities.
- Why It's a Lie: Chances are there are some dead ducks in your pipeline.
- The Real Truth: Until you develop an account, you don't really know if they're qualified or not.
- What Results: You consistently over-estimate what you'll be able to close.
- Your Reality Check: Weed out your pipeline on a regular basis.
- LIE #3: This is a qualified lead even though they have no budget.
- Why It's a Lie: If they don't have a budget allocated, they're not qualified.
- The Real Truth: You're so desperate that you're working the long shots.
- What Results: You live in a fantasy world where budget magically appears.
- Your Reality Check: The moment you know that there's no budget, gracefully extract yourself from the "opportunity."