You can't wear a swimsuit in Vladivostok, you can't hire a hooker and advertise Coke, and you can't suggest Jesus drinks vodka and Red Bull: Things we learned in April 2011 ...
- Ryanair bikini ad banned over frosty temps
U.K. advertising watchdog nixes a campaign by notoriously cheap and cynical discount airline Ryanair because the Â£8 one-way fares to the sun were only available for locations where the temperature was near freezing.
- The many looks of American Apparel CEO Dov Charney
His style sense runs the gamut, from disheveled to tousled; from rumpled to crumpled; from that just-got-out-of-bed look to that still-in-bed look, etc.
- Story behind Saatchi & Saatchi's infamous 1990 "First Over the Wall" ad in Berlin
"You've got this advertising agency, who had bought the space from Primesight, the outdoor advertising company. It's such a brazen and audacious act; bold and cynical. It felt disrespectful to those individuals who had lost their lives so recently trying to escape from east Berlin."
- All 1-800 numbers now lead to phone sex lines
Creative destruction at its finest: company buying up abandoned toll-free lines -- once the lynchpin of many an advertiser's business -- in order to put them to "productive" use.
- Corporate logos make Freudian slips
Designers rejigger brand marques to reflect harsh reality.
- "The only thing that makes it weird is the fact that they're married."
My favorite quote from this feature on the fortunes of the Arnell Group -- now down to just two clients -- whose CEO was replaced by his wife.
- Verizon's "can you hear me now?" guy is rich but his life is a nightmare
Everywhere he goes, he gets the same thing: "A few months ago, he attended his grandmother's funeral. As her body was being lowered into the ground, he heard the hushed voice of a family friend: "'Can you hear me now?'"
- Christians angry over booze ad that says "thank Christ for the Easter Bank Holiday".
Promo has the messiah advertising vodka and Red Bull for Â£2.50. Silly atheists, don't they remember that Jesus was a wine drinker?
- Coke drops Man. Utd.'s Wayne Rooney after seemingly endless list of screwups
Infidelity with a prostitute while his wife was pregnant, urinating in the street, smoking in public, foul-mouthed ranting on TV, scoring zero goals for England at the 2010 World Cup, among his off-message crimes.
- That's enough Internet, thank you very much
Fascinating -- and well written -- argument by digital adman pours some cold water on potential web ad growth, and whether the tech sector is in a bubble or not. Even if the web took every single ad dollar available, "You only get 350% more growth."
- The Top 10 Weirdest Ad Stories in January
- The Top 10 Weirdest Ad Stories in December
- The 10 Worst Ads of 2010
- The Top 10 Weirdest Ad Stories in November
- The Top 10 Weirdest Ad Stories of October
- The Top 10 Weirdest Ad Stories of September
- The Top 10 Weirdest Ad Stories of August
- The Top 10 Weirdest Ad Stories of July
- The Top 10 Weirdest Ad Stories of June
- The Top 10 Weirdest Ad Stories of May