Sales Machine often gets accused of wandering into controversial subject matter. This is probably because I insist upon treating religions (like Islam and Apple) as fair game for analysis and criticism. But it's also because I don't kowtow to the gods of brand marketing either.
Here are the 10 Sales Machine posts that generated the most controversy, based upon comments, emails, complaints to my editors, and even the occasional death threat. Enjoy!
- Worst Brand Disasters of the Decade. What do Arthur Andersen, Bush, Islam, The Pope, and Wall Street have in common? They were all train-wrecks in brand equity.
- Apple Marketing's Top 10 Dumb Mistakes. One of the dumbest beliefs in business is that Apple's marketing is responsible for the firm's success. Here are ten big blunders.
- Top 10 Dumb Reasons Apple Beat Microsoft. Apple's market capitalization grew larger than Microsoft because Microsoft screwed up... not because Apple had great marketing.
- 5 Dangerous Marketing Myths. Everything that you thought you knew about marketing is probably wrong. Here's the unvarnished truth, and it's why so many marketing people dislike this blog.
- Top 10 Reasons Ayn Rand was Dead Wrong. It's unbelievable that people still believe in the washed-out philosophy of this wigged out woman, even after it's been proven to be pernicious nonsense.
- Top 5 Highly-Paid But Useless Corporate Jobs. Funny, when I chose the job "CIO" as one of the five, I didn't even think it was controversial. But the CIO crowd got their collective shorts in a twist.
- 2011 Predictions: Economy Stalls, Obamacare Dies, iPhone Rules. BTW, one of these predictions is already coming true, with the revelation that there is gangstersism and murder in Apple's supply chain.
- Is Debrahlee Lorenzana Too Sexy for a Sales Job? Her huge boob job got her 15 minutes of fame and glory. It also hit a lot of raw nerves from both sides of the gender divide.
- Five Mega-Trends That Will Shape the Next Decade. As usual, when I point out the obvious, the right-wing nut cases start accusing me of being "liberal". The comments here are study in stupidity.
- Biggest Brand Winners of the Decade. How dare I suggest that "Atheism" is a brand and that it's become more popular and respectable?!?!! I guess a dozen best selling books don't count. Again, the comments are priceless.