Watch CBS News

New unrest in Ferguson after Michael Brown memorial burned

FERGUSON, Mo. - Violence broke out again in Ferguson, Mo., a community still reeling from the effects of an unarmed teen gunned down by a white police officer last month.

A group smashed up the windows of a beauty supply store, and gunshots could be heard nearby, according to witnesses.

The St. Louis County Police Department told CBS St. Louis affiliate KMOV-TV officers arrived on the scene after a crowd began to gather around 9:00 p.m. County police were assisting the Ferguson Police Department.

A crowd gathered near Beauty Town, the store smashed up Tuesday evening, after police arrived. Witnesses said police tried to disburse the group, which was chanting slogans related to the killing of the teen.

The owner of Beauty Town told a KMOV reporter, "This is the third time we've been hit." He said more than $100,000 in merchandise had been stolen.

Authorities told KMOV there had been seven arrests, adding that four officers were hit with rocks and two police cruisers were damaged.

Earlier Tuesday, officials announced they were canceling the annual Ferguson Music Festival amid safety concerns, reports KMOV.

Before the announcement, a makeshift memorial to Michael Brown, the 18-year-old killed last month, was burned down under still unclear circumstances.

ferguson michael brown
A fire burns Tuesday, Sept. 23, 2014 at a memorial in Ferguson, Mo., on the site where a Missouri police officer fatally shot 18-year-old Michael Brown. Ferguson Police Chief Tom Jackson says the cause is under investigation. He says the first officer to arrive tried to extinguish the blaze but couldn't. The Fire Department eventually put it out. AP Photo/Jacob Crawford

Ferguson resident Meldon Moffitt said the fire started around 6:30 a.m. Tuesday on Canfield Drive, the street where Brown was fatally shot Aug. 9 by Ferguson police office Darren Wilson.

About two dozen residents gathered at the site Tuesday morning, many of them angry. One man said it was like a grave being desecrated.

Many were not willing to believe some reports that candles making up part of the display were responsible for the fire, and told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch they smelled gasoline.

"Not one candle can put all the stuff that was up there on fire," one woman told CBS St. Louis. "Come on now. It's too moist out here."

Ferguson police spokesman Devin James says the cause of the fire is under investigation.

Brown's death led to several days of protests and unrest in Ferguson, a St. Louis suburb. Investigations into the shooting by a state grand jury and the U.S. Department of Justice are ongoing.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.