The second, and likely last,between the two candidates for U.S. Senator in Texas – – is tonight. With less than a month until Election Day, both candidates need every remaining opportunity to try to win over voters. The debate starts at 8 p.m. Central Time (9 p.m. Eastern) and a live stream will be simulcast on CBSN, the 24-hour digital streaming news service from CBS News.
Coverage of the debate will begin on CBSN around 8:45 p.m. ET. Anchor Elaine Quijano and political reporter Caitlin Huey-Burns will be live to provide post-debate commentary and discussion.
How to watch the Ted Cruz – Beto O'Rourke debate
- What: Texas Senate candidates debate
- Who: Sen. Ted Cruz (R) and Rep. Beto O'Rourke (D)
- Where: KENS-TV studios – San Antonio, Texas
- Date: Tuesday, October 16, 2018
- Time: 8 p.m. CT (9 p.m. ET)
- Live stream: CBSN live stream in player above
- Live blog: Follow Cruz - O'Rourke debate live updates
- Watch: Second debate preview
Last week, O'Rourke, a congressman representing the El Paso area, announced his campaign hadin the third quarter of 2018. The total, comprised of contributions from 802,836 individuals, is the largest quarterly fundraising haul in Senate history. O'Rourke also out-raised Cruz in the second quarter by $6 million.
The previous single-quarter fundraising record was set by New York Republican Rick Lazio 18 years ago. In that 2000 Senate race, Lazio raised $22 million in a losing bid against first lady Hillary Clinton.
Cruz remains ahead in recent polls. A recent Quinnipiac poll had the Republican incumbent ahead by nine.showed Cruz ahead by six points, while a