The Source: The Harvard Business Review's Conversation Starter
The Take-away: Managers should encourage their employees to adopt the mentality of online gamers, who share these traits:
- They're bottom-line oriented--Gamers like to be evaluated, even compared with one another, through systems of points, rankings, titles, and external measures.
- They understand the power of diversity--one person can't do it all; each player is by definition incomplete.
- They thrive on change--nothing is constant in a game.
- They see learning as fun--the fun of the game lies in learning how to overcome obstacles.
- They marinate on the "edge"--Gamers often explore radical alternatives and innovative strategies, even when common solutions are known.